Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 4th and George Washington

     In just a couple of hours it will be July 4th.  There are parades, cook-outs, fireworks, music and family fun.  If there is one thing I do know, that is I am thankful to our Lord and Savior that I live in a free country where I can worship as I want to.  Why did God choose me to be born in the USA?  I do not have an answer but I am thankful for the opportunity to have freedom of worship.  May I always have an attitude of gratitude to the Lord for the freedom that not only I have but that of my family, friends and all that live in the USA.

     Here is a prayer from George Washington and then I have some websites listed of some activities for the July 4th holiday tomorrow that you can attend.  May you all have a great day and remember to be thankful to God for the country we live in.

                                                                         * * * * *

                                        A Prayer for Guidance, by George Washington

     O eternal and everlasting God, I presume to present myself this morning before thy Divine majesty, beseeching thee to accept of my humble and hearty thanks, that it hath pleased thy great goodness to keep and preserve me the night past from all the dangers poor mortals are subject to, and has given me sweet and pleasant sleep, whereby I find my body refreshed and comforted for performing the duties of this day, in which I beseech thee to defend me from all perils of body and soul....

     Increase my faith in the sweet promises of the gospel; give me repentance from dead works; pardon my wanderings, and direct my thoughts unto thyself, the God of my salvation; teach me how to live in thy fear, labor in thy service, and ever to run in the ways of thy commandments; make me always watchful over my heart, that neither the terrors of conscience, the loathing of holy duties, the love of sin, nor an unwillingness to depart this life, may cast me into a spiritual slumber, but daily frame me more and more into the likeness of thy son Jesus Christ, that living in thy fear, and dying in thy favor, I may in thy appointed time attain the resurrection of the just unto eternal life bless my family, friends, and kindred.

--An undated prayer from Washington's prayer journal, Mount Vernon


                                                                         * * * * *

 Events for July 4th around this area.

http://www.wakeforestnc.gov/july4.aspx

http://www.visitraleigh.com/visitors/event.details.php?id=12425

 Franklinton, NC. In the old high school football field will be music, vendors, food, games, presentations, and a helicopter for display and getting inside, then a show off take off of that helicopter before dark. Fireworks start after dark. Admission to the football field where the main activities are are $1.00 per adult, kids free. Gates open at 6pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment