Thursday, February 14, 2013

Devotion for the Work Place


Looking Up with Gratitude
by
Charles Ligon

As we walked through the woods, my Bluetick-Beagle (whom we recently rescued from a local shelter) was at work…doing what she loves and was created to do.  Her nose was flat on the ground, and she was sniffing and snorting…100% focused on tracking something, probably a deer.  Then all of a sudden, she stopped in her tracks. She sat down…looked up and stared at me.  Those sweet eyes seemed to say, “thank you so much for rescuing me…I was lost and you found me…I was headed for death but you saved me and made me yours”. If a dog can be grateful, I believe Gracie was at that very moment! Then, just as quickly, her nose went down and she was back to work.   

This was a teachable moment for me. I paused briefly and thought…how often do I stop during my work day, look up and thank God for rescuing me? I confess…not nearly enough! I was once dead in my sin yet God rescued me…making me His own. Thank you Lord!!

The Bible says, “Our God is a God who saves! The Sovereign LORD rescues us from death” (Psalm 68:20), “…you were dead in trespasses and sins…But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us…made us alive again…by grace you have been saved ”(Eph 2:1-5). “…God rescued me…led me to a place of safety” (Psalm 18:17&19 NLT).

What should be my response? “I will exalt you, Lord, for you rescued me” (Psalm 30:1). “…give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Ephesians 5:20). I wonder…as we go about our work day, do we take the time to stop…look up…and express our heartfelt gratitude to God?

Workplace Challenge: During your work day, decide to be more intentional expressing gratitude for what God has done in your life. Thank Him often for saving you, adopting you as His child and preparing for you an eternal home. If necessary, create reminders for yourself. Use sticky notes, alarms on your Outlook or find an accountability partner. God deserves our continual gratitude! So, as you begin your day doing what God has created you to do, be sure to stop, look up and tell Him of your deep gratitude for what He has done in your life.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment