Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Do Not Fear! by Charles Ligon


Do Not Fear!

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. II Timothy 1:7

We all have fears: fear of the dark, fear of snakes, fear of heights, fear of flying, fear of public speaking or of losing one’s job. My biggest fear is being lost at sea. Last summer, my sons and I planned a fishing trip out in the ocean, off the coast of Virginia. We were well prepared for the trip. We had a marine radio, a satellite location beacon and a Sea-Tow registration. I even told my wife exactly where we were going and when we’d return. In spite of all my safety precautions, I laid awake the night before…unable to sleep, my imagination running wild as various catastrophic scenarios played out in my mind. I had planned for every known event, but it was the fear of the unknown that had enslaved me.

Most fear originates from the fear of the unknown. We don’t know what lies ahead so we become anxious. Our imaginations amplify the fear until it becomes overwhelming and we become enslaved. Fear is a natural response to a potential threat. But, as believers, how we respond to fear is crucial to overcoming it. The Bible says that God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. God has placed in us the Holy Spirit to help us see things as He does and to help us overcome our fears. Through Him, we have the love, power and self control that can conquer fear.

Do you have fears at work? Perhaps you fear a failed business or the loss of income; maybe you’re afraid of losing a big customer or of making a bad business decision. All too often we as Christians fear what man can do to us. Yet, the only fear God encourages in a Christian’s life is the fear of God (2 Cor. 5:10-11). Any other types of fear are not from Him.

Workplace Challenge: Ask God to free you from your fear. Decide now to be more reliant on the Holy Spirit who resides in you; He will give you whatever you need to conquer that fear. Don’t be afraid of what man can do to you. Be faithful to God for He is trustworthy and He is with you. Finally, memorize God’s promise in Isaiah 41:10. Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. What a promise! Make today count for His Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment