Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Except for the Grace of God - The Workplace

by Charles Ligon


I went home for lunch and discovered the disaster. Walking in, I saw Gracie, my blue-tick beagle with that “Uh-oh…I’ve been caught” look. Once again, her nose got her in trouble…the smells emanating from the very full trash bin were too tempting.  She had knocked it over and the floors looked like a landfill. There were coffee grounds, banana peels, shredded trash and a variety of wrappers spread across the kitchen and adjacent rooms. Needless to say, I was upset and responded rather harshly. After cleaning up the mess, I considered my response…was it appropriate?  You see, Gracie was a rescue dog and had been abused.  Because of that, a raised voice both scares and defeats her.  Oh yes, she definitely needed correction but should it have been so severe? After all, I contributed to the disaster by leaving a trash bin filled with a multiplicity of tempting scents. Her “hound” instinct got her in trouble. She was only doing what was natural to her.  

What do you do when you witness another’s actions at work that catches you off guard or even offends you? Are you quick to judge? Do you get angry and respond critically? Are you harsh and humiliating toward them? What is the appropriate response for a Christian?

I have learned that except for the grace of God, there go I. He has been so patient with me and forgives me when I, in my natural-sinful self, do stupid things that must offend Him. He does not deal harshly with me as I deserve. Rather, He is patience, merciful and forgiving. The Lord is compassionate and merciful, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love (Psalm 103:8). Nothing I’ve done is so bad that God’s complete and unconditional love can’t forgive it. Jesus said, if you forgive men their trespasses, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you (Matthew 6:14). The Lord’s response toward us is how we must be toward others. The Bible says that we are to make allowances for other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends us. (Colossians 3:13).

Your workplace challenge is to be understanding and forgiving toward those who might cause offense. Don’t judge, criticize or react harshly. Instead, respond gently and in love. Choose to speak words constructively and invest in the relationship for the purpose of helping them be all that God created them to be. Remember the golden rule (Matthew 7:12) and respond accordingly. Make today count for His Glory.    

No comments:

Post a Comment